The City of Carbondale Preservation Commission is honored to sponsor the Annual Historic Preservation Awards. Any property located within Carbondale city limits is eligible for a Historic Preservation Award. Carbondale residents are invited to submit nominations for any property that they feel is deserving of an award.
Properties may be nominated for one of the following five categories:
- Preservation: This includes buildings that have been kept in their original architectural style and are being used for their original purpose.
- Restoration: Properties that have been restored to their original style or appearance.
- Sympathetic Addition: Construction of an addition to an existing structure that is consistent with the original architectural style of the property.
- Compatible New Construction: Any new structure that is consistent with the original architectural style of the neighborhood or that utilizes historic building materials and techniques.
- Adaptive Reuse: Existing structures that have maintained their original architectural style, but are not being used for their original purpose.
Anyone can nominate a property; however, owners are encouraged to nominate their own property. The award winners will be recognized at a City Council meeting in May, in association with National Preservation Month. Complete a Nomination Form online here. Please submit all applications by 4:30 p.m. on Monday, March 1, 2021.
For further information on the Historic Preservation Awards or any other activities of the City of Carbondale Preservation Commission contact Megan Brightharp at 618-457-3258 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To schedule an interview, contact Public Relations Officer Roni LeForge at 618-559-1939.
“Carbondale prides itself on providing its visitors, students, businesses and residents with a unique mix of edge and ease. It’s a cultural town, yet free of pretense, embracing the great outdoors as readily as urban sophistication. Here, we are open to new ideas, experiences and cultures, so you are encouraged to both express yourself and be yourself, in all ways. That’s Carbondale…All Ways Open… for family, fun, business, new ideas and a bright tomorrow.”